Jailed Cuban journalist honoured in FranceDecember 5th, 2008 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Dec 5 (IANS) Jailed Cuban journalist Ricardo Gonzalez Alfonso, one of 75 dissidents rounded up by Havana in 2003, has been named the recipient of Reporters Without Borders’ 2008 Journalist of the Year award, EFE reported Friday.He was recognized “for helping an independent press to survive in Cuba,” the Paris-based group, known as RSF, said in a statement Thursday.
“A reporter with the non-official Cuba Press and promoter of the independent magazine De Cuba, Alfonso embodies the difficulties that dissident media suffer at the hands of the island’s communist regime,” RSF secretary-general Jean-François Julliard said.
From the Havana prison where he is serving a 20-year sentence, Gonzalez Alfonso managed to send a message via his wife that was read at the awards ceremony by his colleague and friend, Alejandro Gonzalez.
Gonzalez accepted the award on behalf of Alfonso from Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi.
After dedicating the award to the 22 other reporters jailed in Cuba, Alfonso in his message reaffirmed their resolve to fight for a free press.
“This present is not the end of time, but only a prelude to a time when there will not be bars inside or outside,” he said through his colleague, who was released from a Cuban prison in February.
“My convictions have been strengthened by my captivity and I am sure that the peaceful struggle we launched is worth it. Despite the harsh conditions we endure, we will continue fighting for a Cuba with freedom of opinion,” he said.
- Reporters held at Wall St. protests: Rights group - Oct 14, 2011
- Press freedom watchdog calls on Cuba to free reporters - Jun 26, 2008
- `Mexico must look into obstacles to press coverage' - Jul 05, 2012
- Spain asks Cuba for better treatment of political prisoners - Feb 19, 2010
- Journalist arrested in Cuba - Feb 02, 2010
- Spain deplores death of Cuban political prisoner - Feb 25, 2010
- Brazil urged to probe murders of journalists - Nov 03, 2010
- Cuba expects to sell four million cases of rum in 2011 - Apr 12, 2011
- Five Cuban dissidents reject proposed exile - Jul 14, 2010
- Cuban dissidents beaten, detained - Feb 06, 2010
- Cuban dissident ends month-long hunger strike - Jun 28, 2011
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Cuban political prisoner on hunger strike gravely ill - Feb 17, 2010
- India-Cuba joint discovery in biomedical sciences wins award - Jul 19, 2011
- Elian Gonzalez Is Happy In Cuba - Jul 02, 2010