Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injuredMarch 11th, 2012 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 11 (IANS) A violent clash between prison inmates and jail keepers left a person dead and several injured in Basti in Uttar Pradesh late Saturday evening.
The clash erupted inside the Basti prison, and soon went out of hand as berserk jail inmates went on rampage, broke barrack gates and set the kitchen on fire, police said Sunday.
Talking to IANS, a senior police official said prisoners snatched rifles from the security personnel and shot at them. In the gun fire that ensued, a prisoner was shot dead. More than a dozen prisoners and security men were injured and were taken to the Gorakhpur Medical College.
Trouble started when three murder accused were brought to the jail.
From the moment they entered the jail and they started creating ruckus and accused the police of falsely implicating them in the murder case. Some other jail inmates joined the altercation and tried to gate crash into the jail warden’s office. Hundreds of inmates soon joined the mob and took over Gate number 3 and 4 of the jail and started throwing bricks at the security deployed within the jail.
To control the crowd, a team led by Superintendent of Police V.K. Singh reached the jail and more than 150 rounds were fired. Soon Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) P.K. Mishra joined the force. The violence was contained after more than two hours and more than two dozen rioting inmates were overpowered and shifted to separate barracks.
Jail Superintendent R.K. Kesarwani said the rioting had been brought under control. The state government has ordered the IG (Prisons) V.K. Gupta to probe the jail riot.
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Suspended jailer kills wife, self in Lucknow (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Meerut jail inmates become self-reliant by making garments - Mar 31, 2011
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012
- Jail riot in UP after prisoner's death - Mar 21, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Meerut jail-break: Prisons across Uttar Pradesh raided - Jul 21, 2010
- Ex-jail chief booked for prisoner's murder - Oct 21, 2010
- 15 inmates injured in Punjab jail rioting - Nov 20, 2011
- Raja Bhaiya inspects Lucknow jail, pulls up staff - Mar 24, 2012
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Meerut jail inmates to churn out sports goods - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: 150 rounds, altercation, barrack, basti, deputy inspector general, fire police, gun fire, jail inmates, jail keepers, jail warden, k gupta, late saturday evening, mishra, murder case, police official, prison inmates, ruckus, security men, security personnel, violent clash