‘Jail Bharo’ campaign from April 12: Anna HazareApril 8th, 2011 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) As his fast-unto-death entered the fourth day here Friday, social activist Anna Hazare asked supporters to court arrest April 12 under a ‘Jail Bharo Andolan’ after the government turned down two of his demands on the anti-graft Lokpal Bill.
Hazare’s announcement came after Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal said two demands of the activists could not be met. These are notification on an anti-corruption panel and for electing former chief justice of India Justice J.S. Verma or former Supreme Court judge Justice Santosh Hegde as chairman of the committee.
Looking determined, Hazare said: “I have made a decision and appeal to you that April 12 will be Jail Bharo Andolan. How can they refuse the people’s appeal?
“These people (politicians) who have turned us down will come tomorrow asking for votes and say ‘give us a chance to serve you’. When the people are giving you the chance to serve, for the country’s good, they turn you down. So people will go to jail to teach them a lesson,” he added amid thunderous applause from the ever growing crowd of supporters.
The 72-year-old Gandhian said he would not eat till the government gave a role to civil society in drafting a stringent Lokpal Bill.
Amid the growing sea of supporters which included doctors, lawyers, teachers, students, homemakers, Friday saw actor Anupam Kher and Pritish Nandy sitting at Jantar Mantar in support of the movement.
“I want to thank all the youngsters, the school children, who have come to support this movement,” Hazare said.
- Anna Hazare calls for 'Jail Bharo' campaign on April 13 (Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- India's anti-corruption crusade grows, government feels heat (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- When schoolchildren turned up to support a 'fakir' - Apr 08, 2011
- Over one lakh netizens pledge to court arrest to back Anna - Dec 26, 2011
- Hazare calls for jail bharo after ban orders (Intro Roundup) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna Hazare, Kejriwal, Bedi detained (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- 1,500 people join Lokpal bill campaign in Bangalore - Dec 27, 2011
- Hazare renews 'jail bharo' threat over 'weak' Lokpal bill - Dec 22, 2011
- Thousands rally in support of Hazare's anti-graft fight - Apr 07, 2011
- Hectic efforts to resolve crisis as anti-corruption crusade swells (Evening Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Open to discussions on Lokpal, says PM as Hazare fast continues (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: andolan, anna hazare, anti graft, anupam kher, chief justice of india, development minister, former supreme court judge, gandhian, homemakers, human resource development, jail bharo, kapil sibal, mantar, New Delhi, pritish nandy, santosh, social activist, supreme court judge, thunderous applause, youngsters