Jai Karan’s golden goal hands India Colts Nehru CupNovember 25th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Nov 25 (IANS) Jai Karan stole the show with a golden goal as India Colts overcame a spirited Bharat Petroleum (BP) to win the 45th Nehru hockey tournament here Tuesday.Karan broke the deadlock in the 76th minute after both teams were tied 2-2 at the end of regulation time.
Danish Mujtaba and Diwakar Ram scored for India Colts while Gurpreet Singh and Amar Aiyamma struck for BP.
The match lived up to the billing of a competitive final with both teams playing fast-paced hockey to hold the sparse Nehru Stadium crowd in a thrall.
Colts surprised the petroleum team with a first-minute goal, Mujtaba slotting home. But the experienced BP players stepped up the offensive with all their seniors showing up.
Sabu Varkey and Hari Prasad made some quick moves from the left flank and BP got four penalty corners, three in succession. After saving the the second brilliantly, Colts’ goalkeeper Mrinal Chaubey could not stop Gurpreet from converting the fourth in the 22nd minute (1-1).
Colts should have immediately scored but Karan’s powerful hit from the left missed the bar by a whisker.
Colts began the second half purposefully, but the defence of Ajay Saroha and Ali was solid. Karan, however, created openings, splitting the defence. He was rewarded with a penalty corner in the 48th minute and skipper Diwakar Prasad made no mistake.
Karan then showed his promise as he skillfuly dribbled through from the midfield in an amazing solo run only to see his reverse-hit ending up at the goalkeeper.
BP went all out for the equaliser. Their best chance came when Sabu’s thorough pass was latched on by Tushar Khandekar but faltered with only the goalkeeper to beat.
But they did not have to wait for long as Aiyamma deflected a free-hit from Gurpreet Singh in the 61st minute to take the match into extra time.
In the first match of the day, Punjab & Sind Bank beat ONGC XI 2-1 to take the third place.
- PNB XI to clash with ONGC in Nehru hockey final - Nov 24, 2011
- Classy Colts take on Bharat Petroleum in Nehru hockey final - Nov 24, 2008
- BPCL, Army XI make Muruguppa final - Oct 10, 2009
- Murugappa Hockey: Railways, Army XI still in contention - Jul 21, 2010
- Bharat Petroleum beat India Colts in Ranjit Singh hockey - Feb 23, 2009
- Asian Champions Trophy: India rally to draw 2-2 against Malaysia - Sep 07, 2011
- India beat South Africa 4-2 to enter Champions Challenge final - Dec 03, 2011
- BPCL fight back to force draw - Jul 15, 2010
- Haryana beat Karnataka 2-1 to lift national hockey title (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Indian women beat Canada 4-1 in Olympic hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
- Indian hockey team rout Belgium 6-0 - Jul 17, 2010
- Asian Champions Trophy: Goalie Sreejes stars in India's win over Pakistan - Sep 11, 2011