Jadeja debuts as professional golferFebruary 4th, 2009 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 3 (IANS) Former cricketer Ajay Jadeja made his debut Tuesday as a professional golfer at the PGTI Players Championship, which saw Himmat Singh Rai shoot five under-65 to emerge opening day leaders here. Jadeja produced a round of one under 69 to be tied 12th along with Shamim Khan and Harendra Gupta at the Tollygunge club greens.
The former Indian ODI captain left behind the seasoned S.S.P. Chowrasia, and admitted at the end of the day: “When I was a cricketer, I thought it to be the only difficult sport. I thought only in cricket you are under pressure … But there’s lot more pressure here.”
Comparing cricket with golf, he said: “There’s a lot of difference. In cricket, you have teammates to help you out when you are in trouble. But here, you are alone in the middle and there’s nobody you can turn to. You have to fight your way out.”
Jadeja said he was satisfied with his debut showing. . “My first shot was behind a tree … It happens once in a lifetime to imagine a ball going off the fairway. But you have got to play from where it lies so I had to take the penalty shot and start again.
“But at the end of the day, I am happy with the progress of having finished with one-under. I have just started today.”
Delhi boy Rai hit two eagles and two birdies at the par 70 course, with a bogey in the fifth being the only blot.
Mukesh Kumar birdied the 10th, 15th, 18th, fourth, ninth and bogeyed the 17th and 2nd to be tied second at three under 67. Kolkata’s Nur Hossian Sardar fired five birdies (10th, 15th, second, fifth, seventh) against two bogeys (first and fourth) to be tied second with an overall score of three under 67.
Kolkata-based professionals SS.P. Chowrasia and Feroz Ali Mollah were both tied sixth at two under 68.
- Solid start for Himmat, Chowrasia at Black Mountain Masters - Dec 16, 2010
- Gaganjeet Bhullar hogs limelight at Bangladesh Golf - Jan 26, 2011
- Jyoti Randhawa leads DLF Masters - Sep 17, 2010
- Jeev shoots 67, lies fifth at Hong Kong Open - Nov 19, 2010
- Vijay Kumar ahead by two strokes in Mewat golf - Mar 10, 2010
- Chowrasia completes an Indian party at Avantha Masters golf - Feb 20, 2011
- Vijay Kumar keeps lead, Chowrasia in second place - Mar 11, 2010
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
- Hiratsuka wins dramatic playoff at Black Mountain, Chowrasia 40th - Dec 19, 2010
- Jeev improves to tied second at Volvo China Open - Apr 22, 2011
- Shamim Khan takes lead in PGTI Tour Championship - Dec 18, 2009
- Chowrasia slips in third round, unknown Thai takes lead - Dec 18, 2010
- Ashok Kumar in lead after third round in Panasonic Open - Mar 31, 2012
- Jeev tied seventh in China Open - Apr 21, 2011
- Chowrasia, Sujjan one shot off the lead at Avantha Masters - Feb 19, 2011