Jade prepares for 1 mn pound wedding as Brown praises her courageFebruary 19th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 19 (IANS) Reality television star Jade Goody has left a London hospital to prepare for a televised wedding that is expected to fetch her a million pounds as British premier Gordon Brown praised her courage and determination in the face of terminal cancer.
Goody left the Royal Marsden Hospital Wednesday looking pale and unsteady as she was helped from her wheelchair into an ambulance.
Goody is expected to make close to a million pounds following a reportedly frenzied bidding war for rights to film her wedding with her fiance Jack Tweed, who went down on his knees to propose to her on the banks of the Thames river in London this week.
The cancer-stricken reality TV star has finalised deals with OK! magazine and Living TV, her publicist Max Clifford said.
Goody is expected to earn about 700,000 pounds from OK! - which has also secured the rights to pictures of her children’s christening - and an estimated 100,000 pounds from a Living TV contract as well as other tabloid deals.
The wedding is to be held at Down Hall, a grand country house hotel.
Goody, who has been given only months to live, is also said to be considering doing a one-off interview with journalist Piers Morgan for ITV television channel, but her publicist said she will not be filmed dying.
Gordon Brown praised Goody Wednesday for her efforts to raise money for her young children.
“It’s very sad and tragic that someone so young has got this deadly disease of cancer. It’s very sad that the treatment that has been given has not been successful,” Brown said at his weekly press conference.
“I think everyone has their own ways of dealing with these problems and her determination to help her family is something that we’ve got to applaud. I wish her well and I wish her family well,” he added.
In January 2007, when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer (finance minister), Brown found himself sucked into a race row involving Goody and Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty.
Goody was expelled from the Channel 4 reality show Big Brother after complaints that she had racially bullied Shetty - an allegation that Goody denied.
Returning to London, Brown told the British parliament the issue had been raised repeatedly during his trip, adding: “I want Britain to be seen as a country of fairness and tolerance. Anything detracting from this I condemn.”
Goody was diagnosed with cervical cancer last August, forcing her to cancel her appearance at an Indian reality show and fly back to London for treatment. The cancer has since spread to her bowels, groin and liver.
- I feel honoured by India's love: Jade Goody (Exclusive) - Feb 20, 2009
- Jade Goody dies in sleep, tributes pour in (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2009
- Gordon Brown praises Jade Goody - Feb 18, 2009
- British TV star Jade Goody dies in peace (Lead) - Mar 22, 2009
- Jack Tweed infuriates Jade Goody's family with book deal - Feb 28, 2011
- Jade Goody weds Jack Tweed - off camera - Feb 22, 2009
- Brown calls Jade Goody 'courageous' as tributes pour in - Mar 22, 2009
- Goody's family wants privacy, peace - Mar 22, 2009
- Hated and admired, Goody was reality TV's shooting star (Obituary) - Mar 22, 2009
- Pray for cancer-stricken Jade Goody, says Shilpa Shetty - Feb 20, 2009
- Not offended for not being invited to wedding: Blair - Apr 29, 2011
- Jade Goody may die on reality television show - Feb 15, 2009
- Jade Goody invites Shilpa Shetty for wedding - Feb 18, 2009
- Jade Goody buried, praised for raising cervical cancer awareness - Apr 04, 2009
- Chris wants two weddings with Porter - Jul 29, 2012