Jade Goody weds Jack Tweed - off cameraFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 22 (IANS) British reality TV show star Jade Goody married her boyfriend Jack Tweed in a glamorous wedding Sunday but unlike much of her celebrity life, the event was not shown on the small screen.
Press deals worth nearly a million pounds mean that, ironically, the wedding remained hush hush - there was no television footage of the cancer-stricken star’s dream-day.
Exclusive photographs are only expected to be published later in OK! magazine, or sold to newspapers.
The noon wedding at the Down Hall Country House Hotel in Essex was followed by an exclusive photo shoot that lasted up to two-and-a-half hours.
“She looked absolutely beautiful. And he looked very handsome. They got a standing ovation from everybody there. It was a very heart-rending and happy ceremony,” said Goody’s friend and publicist Max Clifford after the ceremony.
Goddy wore a 3,500-pound cream silk wedding gown specially made by Spanish designer Pronovias featuring a pouch for her morphine drip, and managed to keep standing throughout the 45-minute ceremony.
Following the wedding ceremony, the couple released a flock of doves to symbolise their love, before celebrating with speeches and fireworks.
Earlier, medical teams stood by as the cancer-stricken Goody married Tweed after flying into the hotel by helicopter Saturday night.
Jack arrived at the Essex hotel shortly before 10 a.m. in a blue Rolls Royce.
Following what was described as a “rowdy stag do” Saturday night Groom Tweed and several of his friends emerged from a house Sunday morning - all dressed in women’s underpants.
The group is thought to have changed their clothes on their way to the venue.
The wedding cake was described by Clifford as “wonderful - the mixture of all the contents she loves”.
Food at the 300,000 pound-wedding was thought to have a cockney theme with jellied eels, whelks and mussels. Guests were reportedly served a three-course meal, beginning with duck and pink champagne.
Some 300 bottles of Malibu, champagne and vodka were said to have been ordered for the occasion.
After speculation earlier this week, Britain’s Justice Minister Jack Straw Friday announced that he had waived curfew restrictions on Tweed, a convict, so that Goody could spend her wedding night with him.
Tweed was jailed last year for 18 months for assaulting a teenager with a golf club, and is under a police curfew to return to his mother’s house in Essex by 7 p.m. each night.
Goody was diagnosed with cervical cancer while on the sets of the Indian reality show “Bigg Boss” in August last year, but the cancer has spread to her groin, liver and bowels and doctors have given her only months to live.
Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty, who was involved in a race row with Goody on the British reality show “Big Brother” in January 2007, could not attend the wedding due to shooting commitments, but said she was praying for her.
- Goodys first night with Tweed could be their last as well - Feb 24, 2009
- Jade Goody close to end - Mar 15, 2009
- I feel honoured by India's love: Jade Goody (Exclusive) - Feb 20, 2009
- Jack Tweed infuriates Jade Goody's family with book deal - Feb 28, 2011
- It is now a matter of hours for Jade Goody - Mar 15, 2009
- Goody goes home for 'final weeks' - Mar 11, 2009
- No room in cemetery for dying Jade Goody - Mar 21, 2009
- Cancer-stricken Jade Goody vows to have her sons christened - Feb 15, 2009
- Goody's family wants privacy, peace - Mar 22, 2009
- Jack Tweed and Mark Wright appear in court - Feb 23, 2011
- Jade Goody still hasnt told her kids shes dying - Mar 08, 2009
- Jade Goody fights to see final Mother's Day (Lead) - Mar 21, 2009
- British reality TV star Jade Goody dies - Mar 22, 2009
- Jade Goody views sunset, asks for Coke cans in last days - Mar 17, 2009
- Jade prepares for 1 mn pound wedding as Brown praises her courage - Feb 19, 2009