Jackson signs on as Hobbit scribeAugust 21st, 2008 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Aug 21 (DPA) Peter Jackson and the other members of the team that wrote the “Lord of The Rings” film trilogy have signed on to pen the movie’s Hobbit prequels, according to reports.The two Hobbit movies will be directed by Guillermo del Toro, who will join Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, in adapting the J.R.R. Tolkien book for the screen, Variety reported Wednesday.
The news caps off an eight-month search for a scribe to tackle the coveted task of bringing the literary classic to the big screen.
“The Hobbit”, written by Tolkien for his children years before the “Rings” trilogy, follows a young Bilbo Baggins, who finds his comfortable life turned upside down when the wizard Gandalf takes him on a journey for a hoard of treasure that involves trolls, humans, Gollum and his ring of invisibility, and a dragon named Smaug.
The films will be shot simultaneously starting in late 2009 with the first movie hitting screens in 2011.
- It's official: Elijah Wood is starring in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- Peter Jackson confirms 'The Hobbit' will be split into two parts - May 11, 2009
- Elijah Wood to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- Titles for new Hobbit' movies get thumbs up from fans - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Hobbit' Director Quits Due To Studio Delays And Schedule Conflicts - Jun 01, 2010
- Martin Freeman Roped In To Play Bilbo Baggins In "The Hobbit" - Oct 22, 2010
- Peter Jackson might direct 'The Hobbit' - Jun 27, 2010
- Peter Jackson to co-write The Hobbit film - Aug 21, 2008
- David Tennant To Star In "The Hobbit" As "Thranduil the Elvenking"? - Jan 12, 2011
- 'The Hobbit' is on track: Sir Ian Mckellen - Jun 15, 2010
- Peter Jackson to start shooting 'The Hobbit' next year - Oct 16, 2010
- Ian McKellen to reprise his role as wizard Gandalf in new Hobbit films - Jan 11, 2011
- Del Toro Is No Longer The Director Of The Hobbit - Jun 02, 2010
- 'The Hobbit' Director Stands Down In The Midst Of Studio Deferments - Jun 01, 2010
- 'Hobbit' director Guillermo del Toro quits from the prequel to 'Lord of the Rings' - Jun 01, 2010