JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdownJuly 4th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 4 (IANS) The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is spearheading the movement for a separate Telangana state, has called for a two-day shutdown in the region beginning Tuesday.
JAC, which comprises the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other political and non-political groups, has also called for a rail blockade July 8 and 9.
TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao appealed to people to make the 48-hour shutdown a total success. He also urged government employees and workers of the state-owned Singareni Collieries to participate in the strike.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said the JAC has chalked out a series of protest programmes to demand the central government table a bill in parliament for formation of a separate Telangana state.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram appealed to all mass organisations to make the shutdown a huge success.
He said eat and cook protests, whereby people from all walks of life will set up kitchens on roads, cook food and eat there, will be held across Telangana July 10.
Telangana comprises 10 districts, including Hyderabad.
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- 48-hour Telangana shutdown may hit normal life (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Telangana panel puts off rail blockade (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Telangana shutdown called for Monday - Oct 15, 2011
- JAC postpones rail blockade in Telangana by three days - Oct 07, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
- On 22nd day, no end in sight to Telangana strike - Oct 04, 2011
- TRS chief threatens attacks on Congress leaders' houses - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines held - Oct 09, 2011
- Telangana groups to lay siege to Hyderabad in October - Sep 28, 2011
- Cracks in Telangana movement, some back to work - Oct 10, 2011
- Telangana rail blockade July 14 - Jul 09, 2011
- Telangana movement intensifies as teachers join strike - Sep 16, 2011
- Telangana protests: Siege at Congress ministers' homes - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: action committee, bharatiya janata party, bjp, blockade, central government, collieries, cook food, government employees, july 4, kcr, kitchens, mass organisations, parliament, political groups, protest, protests, trs, walks of life