JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown (Lead)July 4th, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 4 (IANS) Normal life in Hyderabad and nine other districts of Telangana is likely to come to a standstill Tuesday and Wednesday as the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) has called for 48-hour shutdown in a bid to intensify its agitation for a separate state.
JAC, which is spearheading the movement for separate Telangana state, has given a call for a series of protests starting with the shutdown to demand that the central government table a bill on the issue in the monsoon session of parliament.
JAC, which comprises the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other political and non-political groups, has also called for a rail blockade July 8 and 9.
TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao appealed to people to make the 48-hour shutdown a total success. He also urged central and government employees, teachers, lawyers and workers of state-owned Singareni Collieries to participate in the strike.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram appealed to the Congress, the Telugu Desam Party and all mass organisations to make the shutdown a huge success.
Unions representing employees of the state-owned Road Transport Corporation and the electricity board, who are part of JAC, have announced their participation in the shutdown.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said the protest would continue till the central government honours its commitment made on Dec 9, 2009, to carve out a separate Telangana state.
Appealing to all sections of people to participate in the protest, KCR said the rail blockade would snap the rail link between south and north India.
Telangana students will take out rallies July 6 and 7 in villages, towns and district headquarters while cook-and-eat protests, whereby people from all walks of life will set up kitchens on roads, cook food and eat there, will be held across the region on July 10.
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown - Jul 04, 2011
- 48-hour Telangana shutdown may hit normal life (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Telangana groups to lay siege to Hyderabad in October - Sep 28, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
- Cook-and-eat agitation in Hyderabad for Telangana state (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- TRS to intensify Telangana movement with road, rail blockades - May 12, 2011
- Telangana rail blockade July 14 - Jul 09, 2011
- Telangana activists begin cooking on Hyderabad roads - Jun 19, 2011
- Telangana shutdown total, train services restored - Oct 17, 2011
- Telangana panel puts off rail blockade (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Crisis in Andhra as Telangana MPs, MLAs quit enmasse (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Movement for Telangana gathers momentum; cabinet meets (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Telangana MP sent to jail - Oct 16, 2011
- JAC postpones rail blockade in Telangana by three days - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: action committee, bharatiya janata party, bjp, blockade, central government, collieries, cook food, district headquarters, electricity board, government employees, kcr, mass organisations, monsoon session, north india, political groups, road transport, telugu desam party, transport corporation, trs, walks of life