JAC calls for Telangana shutdown FridayJuly 21st, 2011 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 21 (IANS) The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is spearheading the movement for separate Telangana state, has called for a shutdown in the region Friday.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram said the shutdown has been called to protest the insult shown to a Telangana martyr in Delhi and the government’s attempt to suppress the right of employees to go on strike.
The day-long shutdown is likely to affect normal life in Hyderabad and nine other districts of the region.
The two-day shutdown July 5-6 in support of the demand for a separate state had crippled normal life.
The JAC called the shutdown after state authorities in Delhi did not allow the body of a youth, who committed suicide near India Gate Wednesday, to be kept at Andhra Bhavan, the state-run guest house.
Frustrated over the delay in formation of a separate state, M. Yadi Reddy, 28, was found hanging from a tree in India Gate area.
The JAC, which comprises the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other pro-Telangana groups, has also called the shutdown to protest the government’s threat to invoke the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) and to implement the ‘no work no pay’ rule against employees planning to go on indefinite trike next month.
Kodandaram has urged the Congress, the Telugu Desam Party and others to support the shutdown.
- Telangana leader slaps Andhra Bhavan official (Lead) - Jul 21, 2011
- Telangana employees launch protest for separate state - Aug 09, 2011
- Telangana panel puts off rail blockade (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown - Jul 04, 2011
- Telangana activists pay last respects to Yadi Reddy - Jul 22, 2011
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- As 'people's strike' weakens, Congress faces Telangana groups' ire - Oct 18, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana employees determined to strike - Jul 21, 2011
- Telangana protest reaches CM's office, strike continues - Sep 26, 2011
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- Telangana leaders arrested for road blockades in Hyderabad - Sep 28, 2011
- Telangana employees gearing up for indefinite strike - Aug 07, 2011
- Telangana shutdown called for Monday - Oct 15, 2011
- Telangana MP sent to jail - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: action committee, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress, convenor, esma, essential services, guest house, hanging from a tree, hyderabad, india gate, insult, maintenance act, martyr, services maintenance, state authorities, suicide, telugu desam party, trs