J. Dey murder: Special public prosecutor appointedJanuary 11th, 2012 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 10 (IANS) Raja Thakare was appointed as a special public prosecutor Tuesday by the Maharashtra government for the trial of 11 accused in the murder of Mumbai journalist J. Dey.
“I received a notification pertaining to the appointment and hence appeared in the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court Tuesday,” Thakare told IANS.
Dey, Mid-Day newspaper’s editor (special investigations) was gunned down near his residence in central Mumbai’s Powai by motorcycle-borne assailants June 11 last year.
Thakare has been handling several other sensitive cases as a special public prosecutor including the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts, the Aurangabad arms haul case and murder case against gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli.
Mumbai Police have arrested 11 accused in the Dey case, the latest being woman journalist Jigna Vora. She works as a deputy bureau chief with a Mumbai daily and was arrested Nov 25 last year.
MCOCA Special Judge S.M. Modak adjourned the bail plea hearing of two accused in the case till Jan 24.
Accused Anil Waghmode and Deepak Sisodia had earlier applied for bail on medical grounds.
- Dey murder: Vora's judicial custody extended till Feb 10 (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Dey murder: Vora's custody extended - Jan 03, 2012
- Dey murder: Vora's custody extended till Jan 3 - Dec 20, 2011
- Man seeks to surrender phones bought from Dey murder accused - Dec 02, 2011
- Dey murder: Vora's police custody extended till Dec 9 - Dec 05, 2011
- Dey murder: Jigna Vora granted bail (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Dey murder: Vora remanded to judicial custody till Dec 20 - Dec 09, 2011
- Dey murder: Reporter to remain in police custody (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Dey murder: reporter to remain in police custody - Dec 01, 2011
- Six months on, 12 charge sheeted for Dey's murder - Dec 03, 2011
- Dey murder: Jigna Vora gets bail - Jul 27, 2012
- Dey killing: Woman scribe remanded in police custody - Nov 25, 2011
- Woman scribe arrested for Dey killing (Night Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Dey murder: Vora seeks restraint on media coverage - Dec 13, 2011
- Stringent MCOCA slapped on eight for journalist's murder - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: assailants, aurangabad, bail plea, bureau chief, central mumbai, crime act, deepak, dey, jigna, maharashtra government, medical grounds, mid day newspaper, modak, mumbai police, powai, public prosecutor, sensitive cases, special investigations, special judge, woman journalist