IWPC condemns attack on Arunachal journalistJuly 16th, 2012 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) The Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC) Monday condemned the attack on editor Tonggam Rina, who was shot at outside her office in the Arunachal Pradesh capital Itanagar.
“The Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC) strongly condemns the attack. Attacks on the media are not new in the northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh,” the IWPC said in a statement.
“IWPC strongly criticises such increasing assaults and brazen attacks on women in general across the country and urges the central and respective state governments to ensure and protect the safety and security of all women,” the statement said.
“Steps should also be taken to speedily investigate and persecute those involved in crimes against women in order to deter such assaults in the future,” it added.
Rina, associate editor of the Arunachal Times, was shot at when she was entering her office Sunday evening. While the 34-year-old journalist is still recovering at a local hospital, the unidentified assailants are still at large.
- Scribes condemn Mumbai journalist's murder - Jun 14, 2011
- Three Indian journalists killed: watchdog - Jun 14, 2011
- Three Indian journalists killed in six months (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Mumbai politicians, activists condemn Mid Day scribe's murder - Jun 11, 2011
- Mumbai journalist's funeral in afternoon - Jun 12, 2011
- Bollywood shocked by scribe's murder - Jun 12, 2011
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- Agatha will go by UPA's presidential candidate: Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Mumbai scribe's killing challenges freedom of press: Soni - Jun 11, 2011
- Prashant Bhsuhan bashed up, one attacker held (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2011
- Two Uttar Pradesh cops shot, weapons looted - Oct 13, 2011
- 2G issue not Congress' internal matter: BJP - Sep 27, 2011
- International Press Institute condemns attack on magazine - Apr 20, 2012
- Press Club condemns Times of India attack - Jan 28, 2012
- Pawan Hans says missing chopper was in perfect condition - May 01, 2011
Tags: associate editor, crimes against women, indian women, iwpc, journalist, local hospital, New Delhi, northeastern state, rina, safety and security, state governments, state of arunachal pradesh, sunday evening, unidentified assailants