IUML worker’s murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bailAugust 27th, 2012 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Aug 27 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Kannur district secretary P. Jayarajan was Monday granted bail by the Kerala High Court in the murder of Indian Union Muslim League worker Abdul Shukoor in February.
Granting conditional bail, the court asked Jayarajan to furnish a security of Rs.25,000, two sureties and directed him not to try to influence the witnesses in the case.
The CPI-M Kannur district secretary has been named as the 32nd accused in the charge sheet by police and was in judicial custody at the Kannur jail after his arrest Aug 1.
In view of the series of holidays for the Onam festival, the high court while granting bail pointed out that all steps should be taken to ensure that Jayarajan was freed Monday.
However, the first class judicial magistrate of Kannur Monday extended the remand of the CPI-M leader till Sep 10, saying that he was yet to receive any information on the bail granted by the high court to Jayarajan.
According to the charge sheet, Shukoor, a 22-year-old activist of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), was murdered because he was involved in an attack on Jayarajan and CPI-M legislator T.V. Rajesh while they were travelling in a vehicle.
IUML is the second biggest constituent of the ruling Congress-led United Democratic Front.
The first six accused include local youth wing activists of the CPI-M who had played a direct role in the murder of Shukoor, according to police.
Rajesh, the 33rd accused in the case, surrendered in court on Aug 13 after his anticipatory bail was rejected by the Kerala High Court. He was released Aug 22 after securing bail.
Of the 33 accused, 30 - who include close to two dozen activists of the CPI-M and its affiliates - have been arrested.
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case - Aug 04, 2012
- CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- CPI(M) MLA Rajesh denied bail, Jayarajan's remand extended - Aug 14, 2012
- Bail denied to Kerala CPI-M leaders in murder case - Aug 13, 2012
- Kerala legislator gets bail in murder case - Aug 21, 2012
- Decision on arrested Kerala CPI-M leader's bail Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M facing tough times (Letter from Kerala) - Jun 30, 2012
- Will ask poll panel to cancel CPI-M's registration: UDF - May 28, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail in murder case (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,