It’s raining ire against MCD at Ramlila groundAugust 19th, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Amid all the chants hailing Anna Hazare and slogans to eradicate corruption, many at the Ramlila ground here slammed the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) for the shoddy preparations to deal with rains.
“The MCD knew it would rain. It should have been prepared and not left the ground with such potholes everywhere,” said Kripal Singh, a supporter from Jhajjar.
“Rain will not bring down our support, but this is not how you would like to see the site of a prominent protest fast,” Singh fumed.
As rains lashed the area at around 2 p.m., supporters ran for TV crews’ umbrellas, tents and any cover they could find. However, some college students found it fun to get drenched in the rain.
Armed with buckets, hundreds of volunteers from India Against Corruption (IAC) took up the task of cleaning the ground by carrying away the mud outside.
“More supporters will come to support Annaji tomorrow (Saturday). It is our duty to make this place better for the supporters,” said Dharmesh Sharma, a volunteer.
Supporters sought to drain out the muddy waters with whatever they could get — water bottles, buckets and other containers.
Anna Hazare was Friday fasting at Ramlila ground after spending the first three days of his hunger strike in Tihar Jail.
- Cordon of volunteers fortify Anna's security - Aug 20, 2011
- Anna to continue his fast at Ramlila ground Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Work in full swing at Ramlila Ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Devotional songs, slogans echo at Ramlila ground - Aug 20, 2011
- Anna's fast: Preparations on in Ramlila ground - Aug 19, 2011
- Ramlila ground gets set for Anna Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Fasting Anna calls for 'revolution' as thousands rally (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Thousands throng Ramlila Ground to support Anna (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Team Anna moves court against steep ground charges - Dec 22, 2011
- Anna to move to Ramlila ground Friday - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna to leave Tihar Jail - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna's fast enters day 7, crowds throng Ramlila ground (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates as Hazare leaves Tihar Jail - Aug 19, 2011
- Team Anna to move court against ground charges - Dec 21, 2011
- On a rain soaked night at Ramlila Maidan - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, buckets, chants, college students, containers, corruption, hunger strike, mud, muddy waters, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, potholes, slogans, tents, tv crews, umbrellas, volunteer supporters, volunteers, water bottles