It’s official: 1950 is army chief’s year of birth (Timeline)February 10th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) After many twists and turns, the curtains camd down Friday on the festering row over Indian Army chief V.K. Singh’s age, with the Supreme Court ruling that he was born on May 10, 1950 and not a year later as he claimed. Here’s a timeline:
* 1965: Teenager V.K. Singh’s UPSC form for the National Defence Academy examination mentions May 10, 1950 as his birth date.
* 1970: Singh is commissioned into the Indian Army’s Rajput Regiment as a second lieutenant. Adjutant General’s branch records the birth date as May 10, 1951 on the basis of school certificate.
* 2006: Age row brought up by army’s Military Secretary’s branch on the basis of the UPSC form as he is selected for promotion as Corps Commander in the rank of Lt. Gen.; undertakes to accept any decision on his age by then army chief Gen. J.J. Singh in “organisational interest”.
* 2008: Age records go to Cabinet Committee on Appointments for his promotion to Army Commander; Prior to that, the Military Secretary warns of disciplinary action if 1950 not accepted as year of birth; Singh agrees on 1950 in writing.
* Jan 2010: Appointed as Indian Army chief based on 1950 as year of birth; retirement set for May 2012.
* April 2010: Takes over as Army chief on Gen. Deepak Kapoor’s retirement.
* July 2011: Singh’s petition to restore 1951 as year of birth rejected by defence ministry on advocate general’s advice.
* Dec 30, 2011: Singh’s statutory complaint too rejected by defence ministry on advocate general’s advice.
* Jan 16, 2012: Singh files petition in Supreme Court against age plea rejections.
* Feb 3, 2012: Supreme Court raps defence ministry; asks it to withdraw Dec 30, 2011 order or it will be quashed.
* Feb 10, 2012: Singh withdraws petition in Supreme Court after he is asked to do so by the judges.
- 1950 or 1951? That's the vital question for Gen. V.K. Singh - Feb 09, 2012
- Government reiterates order on Army chief's age issue, to settle case in court (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Army chief's age plea before Supreme Court Friday - Feb 09, 2012
- Government to settle army chief age issue in court, not administratively - Jan 29, 2012
- Supreme Court trips army chief in age row battle (Evening Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Government has right to determine tenure: Army chief - Jan 18, 2012
- Army rejects defence ministry's order on chief's age - Aug 23, 2011
- Army chief loses court battle on age row (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2012
- Amidst age row, Indian Army chief meets key aides - Jan 02, 2012
- Supreme Court nixes army chief age plea (Second Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Army chief meets Mukherjee amid age row - Feb 02, 2012
- Government, army chief row sets unhealthy precedent: minister (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Army chief meets Pranab, no breakthrough on age row (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Supreme Court told order on army chief withdrawn (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Supreme Court raps government over army chief's age row (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: advocate general, army chief, army commander, birth date, cabinet committee, corps commander, curtains, deepak kapoor, defence ministry, disciplinary action, indian army, military secretary, national defence academy, rajput regiment, raps, rejections, school certificate, second lieutenant, supreme court ruling, upsc