Italy’s industrial production rose in NovemberJanuary 13th, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 13 (IANS/AKI) Italy’s industrial production in November managed to rise even though the eurozone’s third biggest economy implemented cost-cutting measures amid an economic crisis and probable recession.
Output gained 0.3 percent over the previous month but dropped 4.1 percent from November 2010, national statistics agency Istat said in a report released Thursday.
The value of Italy’s economy shrank in the third quarter and Industry Minister Corrado Passera in December said the country is in recession, while the prominent Confindustria trade association said the economic retreat will last until the second half of next year.
Deputy Finance Minister Vittorio Grilli in December said the economy will shrink between 0.4 percent and 0.5 percent this year and stagnate in 2013.
Italy’s new government led by Prime Minister Mario Monti is implementing a plan to cut more than 30 billion euros in spending that includes pension reform and a crackdown on tax evasion.
Monti has said he will present a growth plan during a Jan 23 meeting of European Union finance ministers.
After Monti and a group of unelected “technocrat” ministers took over from Silvio Berlusconi’s government in December, they pushed through a series of measures including tax hikes, pension reforms and launched a fresh war on tax evasion.
- `Italy is in recession' - Feb 16, 2012
- Italian business confidence falls - Feb 28, 2012
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- Consumer confidence rises in Italy - Mar 27, 2012
- Italian economy contracts in Q3 - Dec 22, 2011
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- Italian ministers post salaries online - Feb 22, 2012
- Consumer sentiment rises in Italy - Nov 25, 2011
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Recession-hit Italian hotels report fewer guests in 2012 - Sep 07, 2012
- Italian industrial output falls for second consecutive month - Dec 18, 2010
- Employment growth stagnates in Italy amid weak economy - Aug 03, 2011
- One in four Italians face poverty due to recession - May 24, 2011
- Unemployment rate highest in nine years in Italy - Apr 03, 2012
- Italian police clamp down on tax evaders - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: confindustria, corrado, Deputy Finance Minister, economic crisis, eurozone, finance ministers, grilli, industry minister, istat, mario monti, national statistics agency, pension reform, pension reforms, recession, s industrial, silvio berlusconi, stagnate, tax evasion, union finance, vittorio