Italy seizes mafia assets worth 150 million eurosMarch 4th, 2008 - 6:45 pm ICT by admin
Rome, March 4 (DPA) Italian authorities seized Tuesday assets worth some 150 million euros ($228 million), including homes, firms, shops, bank accounts and luxury vehicles, allegedly belonging to the ‘Ndrangheta mafia. The morning raids, carried out by the police backed by military units, took place mostly in ‘Ndrangheta’s notorious stronghold - the town of San Luca in Italy’s southern Calabria region.
Other possessions including companies and real estate were seized in the northern industrial heartland of Lombardy.
Officials suspect most of the confiscated goods belong to two San Luca-based ‘Ndrangheta families, Nirta-Strangio and Pelle-Vottari.
The families have been locked in a bloody feud since the early 1990s. Victims are believed to include six Italians killed in an August 2007 gangland shooting outside a pizzeria in Duisburg, Germany.
During Tuesday’s operation, the police discovered an underground bunker in one of the seized buildings which investigators believed was used as a hideout by ‘Ndrangheta boss Antonio Pelle, the ANSA news agency reported.
Pelle was sentenced to 26 years in jail for organized crime-related activities but has been on the run since 2000.
Last week an Italian parliamentary report described ‘Ndrangheta as “the most modern (criminal) organization, the most powerful one as far as cocaine trafficking goes”.
Likening the ‘Ndrangheta’s international reach to that of the Al Qaeda terrorist network, the report said it is “able to obtain and offer deadly weapons of war and destruction.”
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- 35 suspected members of Calabrian mafia arrested in northern Italy - Mar 14, 2011
- Italian Police Raid Huge Mafia Clan - Jul 14, 2010
- New book in Italy puts mafia on the map - Dec 06, 2009
- Italian police raid Mafia clan and arrest 300 - Jul 13, 2010
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Three Moroccans arrested on terrorism charges in southern Italy - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- Man held for attempted bomb attack on Italy president - Sep 21, 2010
- Italian tanker seized by Somali pirates freed - Dec 22, 2011
- Italian top fugitive mafia boss held - Aug 17, 2012
- Troops to combat mafia in Italian city - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,