Italy regrets killing of Indian fishermen (Lead)February 22nd, 2012 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) Italian Deputy Foreign Minister Staffan de Mistura Wednesday expressed “terrible sadness” over the killing of two Indian fishermen but insisted their death took place in international waters.
“We do acknowledge and recognize that two Indian fishermen died. No one doubts it, and it is terribly sad,” the minister said after talking with Indian officials here over the arrest of two Italian Marines on board an Italian ship who fired at the fishermen thinking they were pirates.
But he said the Feb 15 incident took place in international waters off Kerala “and investigation will ascertain the exact position” of the Italian ship which carried the Marines.
“We are taking it seriously. We are definitely expressing terrible sadness and regret over the loss of lives.
“Two Indian fishermen did die and they belonged to poor families of Kerala,” he added.
- Italy regrets fishermen killing, row persists (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Italy regrets fishermen killing, but row persists (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- We will go by Indian law, says Kaur - Feb 22, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: Indian, Italian ministers meet - Feb 22, 2012
- Italians' police custody extended, Rome offers cooperation (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Shooting row: Italy says satisfied with progress, minister on way - Feb 24, 2012
- Italian shooting: Legal battle begins - Feb 26, 2012
- Italians' police custody extended, Rome sticks to version (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Shooting row: Italian minister heads to India (Round up) - Feb 21, 2012
- Italian minister to meet fisherman family in Kollam - Mar 03, 2012
- Italy probes why ship docked in India - Feb 22, 2012
- Shooting row: Italian foreign minister to push for release of Marines - Feb 27, 2012
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Shooting row: Italian foreign minister in India Tuesday - Feb 26, 2012
- Fishermen row: Italian minister heads to India - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: doubts, exact position, foreign minister, indian fishermen, indian officials, international waters, italian ship, italy, kerala, marines, New Delhi, pirates, poor families, sadness, staffan de mistura