Italy moves apex court for custody of its MarinesApril 20th, 2012 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Italy Friday moved the Supreme Court to secure custody of its two Marines arrested in Kerala for allegedly killing two Indian fishermen. The Marines were posted on cargo ship M.V. Enrica Lexie when they killed the two fishermen, mistaking them to be pirates.
The Italian government in its petition moved through its ambassador in New Delhi urged the apex court to direct India to make over the custody of its two navy men, Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone, to the Italian government.
The petition said that the continued detention of the two Italian Marines by Kerala Police was illegal and ultra vires as it was violative of the principle of sovereign immunity and also violative of Articles 14 and 21 of the Indian Constitution.
The two Marines had allegedly mistaken Indian fishermen Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, as sea pirates and shot them dead Feb 15, off Alappuzha in Kerala.
The two Italian marines have been in judicial custody since Feb 20 and are currently lodged at the Thiruvananthapuram Central Prison.
- Italy moves apex court for marines' custody, government flip-flops (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Italian ship may finally leave Kochi - May 04, 2012
- Apex court notice on Italy's plea for custody of two marines - Apr 23, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Italian ship not to be let off until Monday, orders court - Feb 24, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
- Italian ship set to leave - May 05, 2012
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Italian marines 'unjustly' held in India: President - Jun 08, 2012
- Happy Italians are being treated well: Mistura - Feb 23, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Italian Marines can't be tried in India: Counsel - Feb 23, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- Italian marines get bail (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, apex court, binki, cargo ship, central prison, chief master sergeant, enrica, indian constitution, indian fishermen, italian government, judicial custody, kerala, latorre, lexie, marines, navy men, sea pirates, sovereign immunity, two fishermen, ultra vires