Italian ship will have to wait till forensic report: KeralaMarch 28th, 2012 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, March 28 (IANS) The Kerala government Wednesday informed the high court that a decision on whether Italian ship Enrica Lexie, from which marines had opened fire killing two Indian fishermen, can be allowed to sail depends on the forensic report of the firearms seized from the ship.
Counsel for the government said that a decision can be taken only after the forensic report comes in two days’ time.
“Once the report comes, then the state government will be in a position to take a decision whether the ship can be allowed to leave,” said the counsel.
Meanwhile, counsel of the ship’s owners, Dolphin Tankers, told the court that the company is incurring a huge expenditure with the ship restrained here and it should be allowed to leave as they are fully cooperating with the investigation.
Two fishermen, Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by marines aboard the Italian cargo vessel Feb 15, off Alappuzha.
Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone were later picked up from vessel Enrica Lexie and sent to jail Feb 20 on murder charges by a court in Kollam.
Currently they are lodged at the Central Prison in the state capital. They have been put in a separate room in the jail.
The case will now be heard again Thursday.
- Italian vessel can sail after furnishing bond (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- 'Italian vessel can't sail till Monday' - Mar 30, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Italians pay Rs.1.7mn in damages, boat owner drops case - Apr 27, 2012
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Boat owner ready to let Italian ship sail for Rs.1.7 mn - Apr 26, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Italian marines get bail (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- Italian marines may be shifted from jail to remand home - May 24, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
- Italian ship may finally leave Kochi - May 04, 2012
- Now, Italian priests visit home of slain Kerala fisherman - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: binki, cargo vessel, central prison, dolphin, firearms, forensic report, girone, indian fishermen, italian ship, kerala government, kochi, kollam, latorre, lexie, marines, murder charges, salvatore, state government, tankers, two fishermen