Italian Serie B match scrapped after police shoots selfMay 4th, 2008 - 1:07 pm ICT by admin
Treviso, (Italy), May 4 (DPA) An Italian second division football match was called off Saturday after a policewoman shot herself in the head in an apparent suicide attempt, news reports said. The policewoman was to undergo a long and difficult operation in a hospital in the north-eastern city of Treviso, the Ansa news agency said.
The shooting took place while the 42-year-old policewoman was on duty outside Treviso’s Tenni stadium during a Serie B game between local team Treviso and Grosseto, Ansa reported.
“I am very sad, in a very low mood. We are trying to understand how this can have happened,” Treviso police chief Filippo Lapi said.
There have never been problems regarding the woman’s performance in the seven years she spent at the Treviso police office, Lapi said. She had been on duty outside the stadium in other occasions.
Police said that the bullet appears to have entered the woman’s jawbone and exited through her skull.
A woman colleague who reportedly tried to prevent the victim from shooting herself suffered minor injuries and was dismissed from hospital in the late afternoon.
Fans who heard the gunshot implored officials to suspend the match in what was first thought to be an incident related to crowd trouble, Ansa said.
Violence has long marred Italian football with recent incidents including widespread rioting following the fatal police shooting of a Lazio fan in November 2007 and the killing of a policeman in clashes outside the stadium of Catania in February of the same year.
- Lazio captain Mauri arrested for match-fixing - May 28, 2012
- Catania game against Roma suspended due to rain - Jan 15, 2012
- Photos of suspects in Odisha violence released - Sep 13, 2012
- Inter triumph 5-0, Lazio humiliated 0-4 - Jan 08, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Juventus beat Catania to top Serie A - Feb 19, 2012
- Soccer fans and policemen injured in Cairo - Sep 08, 2011
- Parcel bomb explodes at Italian tax collecting agency, injuring director - Dec 10, 2011
- Serie A defender arrested over match-fixing suspicion - Apr 03, 2012
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- Teenage soccer fan gunned down in Argentina - May 01, 2012
- Italy captain Buffon probed for illegal gambling - Jun 01, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Mexican soccer match suspended due to gunfire - Aug 22, 2011