Italian marines ‘unjustly’ held in India: PresidentJune 8th, 2012 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, June 8 (IANS) The two Italian marines held in India are being detained “unjustly”, Italian President Giorgio Napolitano said Friday.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone have been charged with shooting two Indian fishermen in February when they were guarding an Italian tanker from pirates off the Kerala coast. The two marines said they mistook an Indian fishing vessel for pirates.
Italy said the incident happened in international waters while India maintains the shooting occurred in its own territory.
Latorre and Girone are “unjustly held far from Italy and their families”, the AKI news agency quoted Napolitano as saying in a message to the Italian Navy chief on the 151st anniversary of its founding.
Two Indian fishermen — Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45 — were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead off Alappuzha in Kerala by the marines, who were serving as the security crew on the Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie.
Latorre and Girone have been granted bail but asked to surrender their passports and not to leave the area.
- No compromise on trial of Italian marines: Krishna - Jun 27, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines - May 29, 2012
- Fishermen killing: Italy summons Indian envoy in Rome - Mar 07, 2012
- Happy Italians are being treated well: Mistura - Feb 23, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Italian marines sent to Central Jail (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Italian Marines can't be tried in India: Counsel - Feb 23, 2012
- Italian envoy in India rushes home over marines row - May 18, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, binki, cargo vessel, giorgio napolitano, girone, indian fishermen, international waters, italian navy, italian president giorgio napolitano, italian tanker, kerala coast, latorre, marines, massimiliano, navy chief, news agency, own territory, passports, pirates, salvatore