Italian marines sent to Central Jail (Lead)March 5th, 2012 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kollam (Kerala), March 5 (IANS) A court in Kerala Monday extended the custody of the two Italian marines arrested for shooting dead two Indian fishermen and ordered them to be sent to the Central Jail in state capital Thiruvananthapuram until March 19.
Italian marines Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone were on Feb 20 sentenced by the court to 14 days custody, of which the first three days was police custody. The judicial custody was later extended twice by seven days each. They were being kept in the Central Industrial Security Force guest house in Kochi, 220 km from here, and were Monday sent to the Central Jail.
Both the marines were produced in the court Monday.
Indian fishermen Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, were allegedly shot dead Feb 15 by the marines who mistook them to be pirates. The marines were on board cargo vessel Enrica Lexie, about 14 nautical miles off Alappuzha in Kerala.
The Kollam chief judicial magistrate court asked the authorities to ensure that special security is given to the two and also allowed Italian officials to meet the two every day for an hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The court also asked the police to see that they should not be kept with other jail inmates, and if they feel the security cover is inadequate, then they could be shifted elsewhere with the permission of the court.
On Tuesday, the petition of the Italian Consulate General demanding quashing of the FIR against the marines is coming up for final disposal in the Kerala High Court.
Last week, the judge pointed out errors in the petition filed by the Italian Consulate General and said it had no seal of the Italian embassy or any authorisation.
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- Italian marines unhappy in prison, likely to be moved out - Mar 06, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Italian Marines shifted to reformatory in Kochi - May 25, 2012
- Italian marines may be shifted from jail to remand home - May 24, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Court extends police custody of Italians - Feb 23, 2012
- Italian minister to meet fisherman family in Kollam - Mar 03, 2012
- Lok Adalat asked to settle compensation for killed fishermen - Apr 20, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Italian marines get bail (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- Court extends custody of two Italians till March 5 - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, binki, cargo vessel, central industrial security, central jail, girone, indian fishermen, italian consulate, italian embassy, italian officials, jail inmates, judicial custody, judicial magistrate, kerala high court, latorre, lexie, magistrate court, police custody, security force, special security