Italian marines’ plea: SC notice to centre, KeralaJuly 19th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday issued notice to the central and Kerala governments on the plea of the Italian government and its two marines seeking a stop on their trial in the killing of two fishermen off Kerala coast Feb 15.
The petitions have also sought the quashing of charges against the two marines.
The court also issued notice to the Kerala Police.
Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone had shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15, allegedly suspecting them to be pirates.
The apex court bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J. Chelameswar issued notice on the mentioning of the petition by the Italian marines.
The Kerala High Court earlier dismissed their petition. The high court while rejecting their plea had slapped a fine of Rs.1 lakh each.
While issuing the notice, the apex court declined to grant interim stay of the trial court proceedings against the two marines in Kerala.
As senior counsel Harish Salve, appearing for the Italian government, pleaded for the stay of the trial court proceedings, the apex court said that it would have to hear the central and state governments before deciding the plea.
The court would next hear the case Aug 8.
The court, for now, declined to accept the plea by Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising, appearing for the central government, to issue notice to two widows of the fishermen killed by the Italian marines.
The court said that it would do so at a later stage, if needed.
- Centre opposes plea for stay on Italian Marines' trial - Aug 08, 2012
- SC reserves verdict on Italian marines' plea - Sep 04, 2012
- No sovereign immunity for Italian Marines, centre tells SC - Aug 31, 2012
- Apex court notice on Italy's plea for custody of two marines - Apr 23, 2012
- Italy moves apex court for custody of its Marines - Apr 20, 2012
- Suprme Court permits Italian ship to leave (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Italian ship's release difficult unless commitment on marines: Court - May 01, 2012
- Italy moves apex court for marines' custody, government flip-flops (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Supreme Court permits Italian ship to leave (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines - May 29, 2012
- Court stays trial of Italian marines till July 30 - Jul 24, 2012
- Italian ship set to leave - May 05, 2012
- Kerala court denies bail to Italian marines (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Lok Adalat asked to settle compensation for killed fishermen - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: apex court, central government, chief master sergeant, court bench, girone, indian fishermen, indira, italian government, kabir, kerala coast, kerala high court, kerala police, latorre, rs 1, senior counsel, solicitor general, state governments, trial court proceedings, two fishermen, widows