Italian Marines can’t be tried in India: CounselFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Feb 23 (IANS) The counsel for two Italian security officials arrested for shooting dead two Indian fishermen argued in the Kerala High Court Thursday that the incident had taken place in international waters and the case could not be taken up in India.
Appearing for the Italians, Sunil Dutt told the court that the incident took place in the international waters and hence could only be tried in an international court of law.
Dutt appeared for the two arrested Italian marines, Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone, seeking the quashing of murder charges filed against them in the trial court Monday.
Two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the security crew of cargo vessel Enrica Lexie Feb 15, about 14 nautical miles off Alappuzha in Kerala. The two Italian marines were arrested for the shooting Sunday night.
The director general of prosecution T. Asaf Ali told the court that the weapon used for committing the crime is yet to be recovered from the ship.
He said the police custody of the two Italians ends Thursday and police would need further custody as more investigations have to be carried out.
The court told the Italian counsel that the marines should cooperate with the probe.
The court asked notices to be served on the centre and the state. The case was posted for further hearing Feb 28.
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Italian ship not to be let off until Monday, orders court - Feb 24, 2012
- Court extends police custody of Italians - Feb 23, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
- 'Italian ship Enrica Lexie cannot be allowed to leave' - Mar 15, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- Happy Italians are being treated well: Mistura - Feb 23, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Italians' police custody extended, Rome sticks to version (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Italian marines sent to Central Jail (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Italian ship may finally leave Kochi - May 04, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, asaf, binki, cargo vessel, girone, indian fishermen, international waters, italian counsel, italians, kerala high court, latorre, lexie, marines, murder charges, nautical miles, police custody, security officials, shooting sunday, sunil dutt, trial court