Italian drone completes first surveillance missionAugust 13th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Aug 13 (IANS/AKI) The first Italian pilotless Predator drone has completed a 12-hour surveillance flight over Libya after taking off from an air base in Foggia, southern Italy.
The Predator B drone took off from the Amendola air base in the Puglia region Wednesday and carried out its surveillance mission, crossing the Strait of Sicily in the Mediterranean between Italy and North Africa.
Aircraft taking part in NATO’s Unified Protection mission to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya and protect civilians from attack by forces loyal to embattled Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi are now taking off from six Italian military bases located across the country.
Since the beginning of the UN mandated NATO operation March 31 a total of 18,656 flights, including 7,079 strike sorties have been conducted, the alliance said in a statement Friday.
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- NATO doesn't know if Gaddafi is dead or alive - May 11, 2011
- 1,000 yachts raided in Italy to nab tax cheats - Apr 04, 2012
- Italy seizes Gaddafi assets worth $1.4 bn - Mar 30, 2012
- Spanish aircraft launch mission in Libya - Mar 22, 2011
- Italy not to bomb Libya, says Berlusconi - Apr 16, 2011
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Libya unrest may unleash wave of 350,000 migrants: Italy - Feb 24, 2011
- Libyan protesters in contact with Italy - Mar 10, 2011
- Gay Italian politician to run for PM in 2013 - Aug 02, 2012
- US wants to sell drones to India - Dec 15, 2011
- No sex if elected, promises Italian politician - Aug 21, 2012
- Stolen art treasures recovered in Italy - Jan 26, 2010
- Italy to send ships, planes to ease refugee crisis in Libya - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: civilians, flights, fly zone, foggia, libya, mediterranean, military bases, muammar gaddafi, nato, nato operation, north africa, predator b drone, predator drone, puglia region, rome, southern italy, strait of sicily, strike sorties, strongman, surveillance mission