Italian cruise tragedy: 17 Indians return, others on wayJanuary 19th, 2012 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Seventeen of over 200 Indians rescued from the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, which hit a rock and sank off the coast of Italy last week, returned home Thursday.
The external affairs ministry has set up help desks at the airports in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Hyderabad to help families and relatives of those rescued from the ill-fated ship.
Two survivors have reached Mumbai and around 36 survivors will be brought to Mumbai later in the day. Nineteen people will reach Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad. The rest will come back to India Friday.
There were 203 Indians on board the ship. Thirtythree-year-old Robello Russel Terence is missing.
The government has stepped up efforts to trace him. After the rescue, one Indian is staying back.
The Italian luxury liner was carrying over 4,200 people when it ran aground on a reef off Giglio island in western Italy. More than 60 people were injured in the accident and six killed.
- 200 Indians passengers of capsized Italian liner returning - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 75 Indians return, rest on way - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 23 Indian survivors return to Mumbai - Jan 20, 2012
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise liner - Jan 17, 2012
- One Indian crew member missing in Italian ship capsize - Jan 16, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- 29 missing in Italian cruise shipwreck - Jan 17, 2012
- 130 Indians saved from Italian shipwreck, control room set up - Jan 16, 2012
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: airports, chennai, costa concordia, cruise ship, external affairs ministry, giglio island, help desks, hyderabad, indians, jan 19, kolkata, luxury liner, mumbai, New Delhi, reef, relatives, survivors, terence, tragedy, western italy