Italian cargo ship with seven Indians hijackedDecember 27th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 27 (IANS) An Italian cargo ship with 18 crew members, including seven Indians, was hijacked by Somali pirates early Tuesday, a maritime official here said.
The ship, MT Enrico Ievoli was on a voyage from Iran to Yumurtalik, Turkey, with 15,000 tonnes of caustic soda, an official at the directorate general of shipping said.
The ship was hijacked by suspected Somali pirates around 4 a.m. IST Tuesday and is now bound for the Somali coast, the official said.
There are no immediate reports of any physical harm to the crew members, the official said, quoting the ship’s captain and its owners.
With this, 43 Indian crew members of merchant ships are in the custody of Somali pirates, the official added.
- Ship with 21 Indian crewmen aboard released - Jan 14, 2012
- Ship with 20 Indian crew members hijacked, freed - Jan 10, 2012
- Indians on board hijacked oil tanker - May 12, 2012
- Hijacked oil tanker has Indians among crew (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescued - Apr 07, 2012
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- MV Suez runs out of fuel, stranded off Oman - Jun 18, 2011
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Back channel efforts on for Indian sailors' release (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Pakistan to seek UN help in hijacked crewmen release - Aug 27, 2010
- 'Six Indians aboard hijacked Panamanian ship' - Aug 23, 2010
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
- 53 Indian sailors still under Somali pirates captivity - Mar 10, 2011
- Tanker with 21 Indians hijacked off Oman - Aug 20, 2011
- Indians freed by Somali pirates reach Kenya - Apr 28, 2011