It was gruesome but necessary, says Norway attackerJuly 24th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Oslo, July 24 (IANS) Anders Behring Breivik, the 32-year-old Norwegian who sprayed bullets at a youth camp killing 85 people and is also linked to a bombing in Oslo, has said his action was “gruesome but necessary”, said his lawyer.
Breivik Saturday confessed to killing at least 85 people on Utoya Island Friday evening. Breivik is also believed to be linked to the Oslo bombing, which left seven people dead.
“He (Breivik) thought it was gruesome having to commit these acts, but in his head they were necessary,” Breivik’s lawyer Geir Lippestad told the Norwegian media.
Lippestad said the attack had been planned “for some while”, reported BBC.
Charged with terrorism, Breivik is due to appear in court Monday.
The media report said that the police have not speculated on the motive. The bomb in Oslo targeted buildings connected to Norway’s governing Labour Party while the youth camp on Utoeya island was also run by the party.
A 1,500-page manifesto, purportedly written by Breivik, shows his right-wing extremist views.
In it, he vows that a “European civil war” will lead to the execution of “cultural Marxists” and the banishing of Muslims, reported CNN.
The document gives details of Breivik’s background and his plans to commit Friday’s attacks.
“If you are concerned about the future of Western Europe you will definitely find the information both interesting and highly relevant,” he wrote.
The document is titled “2083: A European Declaration of Independence”. It is a date which Breivik believes that an European civil war will end with the execution of cultural Marxists and the deportation of Muslims.
This “civil war” would come in three phases, he claims.
Breivik states that he was moved to action citing his “government’s involvement” in NATO’s 1999 strikes during the Kosovo campaign.
- Norway gunman says he acted alone (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Norwegian mass killer sentenced to 21 years in jail (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Breivik planned more Oslo attacks, says lawyer - Jul 29, 2011
- Norway's mass killer faces court hearing - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway attacker's lawyer says he is insane - Jul 26, 2011
- Police guard from massacred Utoya camp missing - Jul 25, 2011
- Italian lawmaker apologises for backing Breivik ideology (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Norwegian killer mulls autobiography - Aug 22, 2012
- Oslo killer warns of more attacks, sent to solitary confinement (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Norwegian killer posted manifesto, video before attacks - Jul 24, 2011
- This will be my last entry, wrote Norway killer - Jul 24, 2011
- 'Norwegian gunman plotted to kill Obama' - Apr 02, 2012
- Norway attacker appears in court (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Jail Norway killer, don't put him in mental care: Defence - Jun 22, 2012
- Norway failed to act on Breivik 'explosives' report - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: attacker, behring, bullets, cnn, declaration of independence, deportation, extremist views, friday evening, geir, kosovo, kosovo campaign, labour party, manifesto, marxists, muslims, norwegian media, old norwegian, report said that, right wing extremist, western europe