IT executive arrested for abetting wife’s suicideJune 6th, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 6 (IANS) A manager with a global software major was arrested here for abetting suicide of his wife by harassing her for dowry, a senior police officer said Monday.
“Sikandar Abhijit, 31, implementation manager at Wipro, was arrested under section 304B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for harassing his wife Asthi Shekar, 29, for more dowry and causing her to commit suicide June 3 in their house,” Bangalore northeast deputy commissioner of police (DCP) Ravikant Gowda told IANS.
The accused, who hails from Bihar, was arrested on the basis of a first information report (FIR) filed by the parents of the victim, who also hail from Bihar.
“In support of evidence, Asthi’s parents (Muralidhar Pathak and Saritha Pathak) from Patna in Bihar, have produced their daughter’s diary and letters in which she had alleged that she was mentally harassed and tortured for getting more dowry, in cash, jewellery and household articles,” Gowda said.
Pathak, a principal of Kendriya Vidyalaya in Patna, said the couple was married Feb 27 and his daughter came to Bangalore in March to settle down with Abhijit.
“She was a post-graduate in economics and bright. We never imagined that our younger daughter would meet such a tragic end within months after her marriage,” Pathak told reporters here at the city police commissioner’s office.
The police also booked the accused under section 429A of the IPC for suppressing evidence and misleading the victim’s parents on reasons behind his wife’s suicide.
“Abhijit was produced in a local court earlier in the day and remanded to judicial custody for 14 days for further investigation into the case,” Gowda added.
Parents of the accused - Manivander Jha and Nandita Jha, who hail from Darbhanga in Bihar, are also being interrogated in the dowry harassment case.
- French diplomat accused of sexually abusing minor daughter - Jun 15, 2012
- Bihar teacher beaten to death for dowry - Mar 21, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- Man held for killing wife over dowry - May 10, 2011
- Bihar student's suicide: rights body seeks report - Sep 07, 2012
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Bail plea of man held for wife's death rejected - Apr 11, 2011
- Bihar scribes demand release of arrested editor - Jan 10, 2011
- Three held in Bangalore for attacking three from northeast - Aug 17, 2012
- Infosys woman manager hangs self - Nov 29, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's son-in-law booked for dowry harassment - Mar 15, 2011
- Dumb woman killed, body chopped in Bihar - Apr 17, 2012
- Bihar legislator murder: Court grants bail to editor - Apr 28, 2011
- Battered Bangalore baby dies, father faces murder charge (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- French diplomat arrested for sexually abusing daughter - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: commissioner of police, darbhanga, deputy commissioner, dowry, global software, gowda, harassment case, household articles, implementation manager, indian penal code, information report, jha, judicial custody, local court, pathak, patna, police commissioner, shekar, sikandar, younger daughter