IT commissioner nabbed taking Rs.2 lakh bribeAugust 29th, 2011 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 29 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Monday nabbed a top Income Tax officer for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs.200,000, an agency official said.
Income Tax Commissioner (Appeals-34) Daya Shankar was nabbed while accepting the amount in his office at the Bandra-Kurla Complex here.
The amount was demanded from a firm in return for issuing a favourable order in an appeal being heard by him, a CBI official said.
He said the matter concerns a copper wire manufacturing company’s IT returns for 2008-2009.
It came up for scrutiny after which the concerned IT officer ordered the company to pay up additional tax liabilities.
The company challenged the order for additional tax liabilities and appealed before Shankar.
According to CBI, Shankar demanded an amount of Rs.2.5 million from the appellant for issuing a favourable assessment order.
After negotiations, the amount was reduced to Rs.200,000 and Shankar allegedly warned that if the appellant failed to pay the bribe money, he would confirm the order of additional tax liabilities.
The company approached the CBI which laid a trap in Shankar’s office and nabbed him while he was accepting the money.
The CBI has booked Shankar under Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, Sec. 7 and is carrying out searches at his properties in New Delhi, Ghaziabad, Lucknow and Patna, the official said.
He is an Indian Revenue Service officer of 1986 batch.
- Arrested tax official has assets worth crores - Sep 07, 2011
- High court rejects IT department's plea against Nirma (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Income Tax commissioner in Mumbai nabbed for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- Gold, silver brick seized from arrested tax official - Jul 16, 2011
- Everonn managing director, tax official held - Aug 30, 2011
- Relief for Gujarat construction company in tax case - Mar 07, 2011
- Indian tax authorities ask Vodafone to pay over Rs.112 bn - Oct 22, 2010
- CBI arrests four for defence canteen racket - Jul 01, 2012
- CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graft - Mar 07, 2012
- Delhi court accepts CBI plea in Bofors payoff case - Mar 04, 2011
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- Bofors payoff case: Decision on Quattrocchi's fate deferred till March 4 - Feb 21, 2011
- Bofors payoff case: Delhi court verdict on Quattrocchi today - Mar 04, 2011
- Court to resume Bofors payoff closure case Thursday (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- Tales of bribery from Ramlila Maidan - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: 5 million, bandra kurla complex, bribe money, cbi, central bureau of investigation, copper wire, daya, ghaziabad, income tax, lucknow, manufacturing company, negotiations, New Delhi, prevention of corruption act, rs 200, scrutiny, shankar, tax commissioner, tax liabilities