Istanbul world indoor athletics meet to have largest participationMarch 3rd, 2012 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 3 (IANS) The 2012 International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Indoor Championships to be held from March 9 to 11 in Istanbul will become the biggest gathering in terms of participating member federations, the world athletics governing body IAAF confirmed.
“With 172 IAAF national member federations having entered athletes to compete at the Atakov Arena next week, Istanbul 2012 should surpass Valencia 2008 where 147 countries, also a participating record at the time, contested the event,” IAAF was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
A total of 1,299 athletes and officials are expected to attend the 2012 IAAF World Indoor Championships. The biennial tournament attracted 142 member federations for their last edition in Doha 2010.
- Prague to host 2015 European athletics indoor championships - May 06, 2012
- Coe, Bubka to be inducted into IAAF Hall of Fame - Jun 25, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Algerian runner disqualified for not doing enough - Aug 07, 2012
- World Champion Cheruiyot says will not rest on laurels in 2012 - Feb 09, 2012
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Kenyan star athlete Rudisha to open season in Australia - Dec 28, 2011
- Liu Xiang, Robles set for Birmingham showdown - Feb 10, 2012
- World weightlifting championships begins in Turkey - Sep 17, 2010
- Olympic athletics: Algerian runner excluded for not trying - Aug 07, 2012
- Russia bans three runners for sample tampering - Jul 03, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Pentathlete Dobrynska first to break 5,000-point barrier - Mar 10, 2012
- Kenya bars students from foreign competition - Feb 17, 2012
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- High jumper Di Martino to miss Olympics - Jul 27, 2012