ISRO employees to celebrate Chandrayaan success with special lunchNovember 18th, 2008 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 18 (IANS) Nearly 5,000 employees of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in Kerala will next week celebrate the success of the Chandrayaan-1 mission with a special lunch and are also hopeful of being given a salary hike in appreciation of their work, an official said.Workers at four ISRO units in the state will be treated to a traditional Kerala feast and also given a packet of sweets each on Nov 24. Incidentally, it was from ISRO’s Thumba unit near here that the US-made Nike-Apache Sounding Rocket was launched in 1963, marking the beginning of India’s space odyssey.
The ISRO employees are also expecting to be granted a special bonus due to the success of the moon mission.
“The Joint Consultative Machinery, a forum of all recognised ISRO employee unions that also consists of the top brass of the department of space, is meeting in Bangalore to discuss a special bonus for the successful launch,” an official said Monday.
“Recently just 30 percent of the ISRO employees in the scientist category got a grade increase. With the success of Chandrayaan, the general feeling is that the government will agree to an overall hike in salary,” he added.
The employees want a 20 to 25 percent hike.
“Compared to the software industry, the only advantage for ISRO engineers is that our jobs are secure,” said the official.
- India: From ferrying rockets on cycles to eyeing Mars - Sep 08, 2012
- India's space odyssey: A timeline (To go with ISRO's 100th mission story) - Sep 09, 2012
- India's space odessy - church to Chandrayaan - Oct 20, 2008
- Next moon mission in 2013-14: ISRO - Dec 25, 2010
- India's next moon mission depends on Russia: ISRO chief - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian manned space flight delayed further - Sep 18, 2012
- India's second moon mission Chandrayaan-2 to wait - Apr 26, 2012
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- Count down for 100th Indian rocket launch begins Friday morning - Sep 06, 2012
- ISRO: A great institution's fall from grace (News Analysis) - Jan 25, 2012
- Countdown begins for 100th Indian rocket mission - Sep 07, 2012
- India's next moon mission banks on Russia, no Mars race with China: ISRO chief (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Global scientists descend on Mysore for space summit - Jul 14, 2012
- Water on moon: Scientists cry eureka! - Sep 24, 2009
- India mulling second rocket port: Space agency chief - Oct 12, 2011