Israel’s deputy premier threatens attack against IranJune 6th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, June 6 (DPA) Israel’s Deputy Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz has said he believes Israel will have no choice but to attack Iran in order to prevent it from developing weapons of mass destruction, reports said Friday. “If Iran continues its programme to develop nuclear weapons, we will attack it,” Mofaz said in an interview in the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper to be published Sunday.
According to Mofaz, who is in charge of strategic dialogue with the US, “the window of opportunity has closed. The sanctions are not effective. There will be no alternative but to attack Iran in order to stop the Iranian nuclear programme.”
Mofaz added that any military action against Iran will be met with the agreement, understanding and support of the US.
When asked how he responds to the harsh statements of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Rome that Israel should be wiped off the map, Mofaz said: “He will disappear before Israel does.”
Mofaz, who was born in Tehran in 1948 and emigrated with his parents to Israel in 1957, has begun his campaign to lead the ruling Kadima party and to succeed Ehud Olmert as the Israeli premier.
The transport minister and deputy prime minister was formerly chief of staff of the Israeli army and defence minister.
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Israel preparing to attack Iran: Report - Aug 17, 2012
- Draft Iran deal has Israel worried - Oct 24, 2009
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- Israel calls for more action against Iran - Jun 10, 2010
- Iran warns Israel of 'painful reply' if attacked - Jun 10, 2008
- Iran can produce four atom bombs: Israel - Feb 03, 2012
- Despite sanctions and pressure, India set to do more busines with Iran (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
- Wikileaks expose: Saudi Arabia urges US attack on Iran - Nov 29, 2010