Israelis in Ankara for talks with Syria: ReportJune 16th, 2008 - 2:47 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, June 16 (DPA) Two aides to Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert were in Turkey Sunday, apparently to start the second part of indirect talks between Israel and Syria being mediated by Ankara, reports said. The officials were identified by media reports as Yoram Turbovitz and Shalom Turjeman, the aides who had participated in the first part of the negotiations.
The talks with Damascus began last month in “good faith”, though Turkish officials shuttled between the representatives of the two sides who did not meet each other.
The talks in Turkey broke an eight-year hiatus on negotiations between the countries.
Olmert’s office would not comment on the reports.
The last round of peace talks between Israel and Syria collapsed in January 2000, because of a dispute over the future of the Golan Heights, a strategic plateau overlooking northern Israel and whose return Syria insists on as a prerequisite for peace.
Polls have shown that any withdrawal from the territory would run into staunch opposition from the Israeli public. About 20,000 Israeli settlers live in the Golan, which was captured from Syria during the 1967 Middle East War.
- Israel, Syria to begin third round of talks - Jul 01, 2008
- Israel announces indirect peace talks with Syria - May 21, 2008
- 12 Arabs killed for violating Golan Heights truce line - Jun 05, 2011
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israel-Syria peace talks announcement shocks Golan settlers - May 24, 2008
- EU sees possibility of more Syria partnership talks - Sep 12, 2008
- Israel closely monitoring Syrian violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Palestinian leadership agrees to indirect talks with Israel - Mar 07, 2010
- Israeli envoy in Turkey summoned - Aug 03, 2010
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- UN chief urges restraint from Israel, Arab sides - May 16, 2011
- Israel to hand over historical building to Russia - Jun 26, 2012