Israelis arrested 363 Palestinians in West Bank in April: reportMay 3rd, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by admin
Ramallah/Tel Aviv, May 3 (DPA) Israeli forces arrested 363 Palestinians in the West Bank during April, a Palestinian report said Saturday. Most of the arrests were in Nablus city, where the army arrested 128 Palestinians, according to the Palestinian Centre for Prisoners’ Defence.
The Israeli army declined to confirm or deny the report. Israeli forces regularly raid West Bank cities and villages, searching for wanted Palestinian militants.
The report said the latest arrests did not appear to target a specific age or category and “had included all Palestinian citizens”.
It added that the Israeli soldiers used police dogs and beat the prisoners during the raids.
The West Bank is administered by the Palestinian Authority (PA) and run by security forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas.
Meanwhile, pro-Abbas forces arrested 80 rival Hamas members in April, a report by the Islamic movement said.
“The Palestinian security services rotate roles with the Israeli army forces in the detentions,” Hamas said in a statement faxed to the media.
Hamas also accused the acting government, led by Acting Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, of taking part in the crackdown against its partisans and supporters.
The crackdown on Hamas started when the Islamic movement took over the Gaza Strip by force, ousting Abbas’ Fatah movement.
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011