Israeli warplanes pound more targets in GazaDecember 29th, 2008 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv/Gaza, Dec 29 (DPA) The Israeli warplanes bombed Gaza again Monday morning, hitting 40 targets of the Islamic Hamas movement that virtually controls the area.One of the targets struck by Israeli bombs early Monday was a building of Islamic University in Gaza and a guest house of the de facto Hamas government, an army spokesman said.
A building near the residence of Hamas leader Ismail Haniya was also reported hit.
More than 300 Palestinians have been killed since the massive air operation started Saturday, just over a week after a fragile, six-month truce between Israel and Hamas formally ended.
Since the truce ended Dec 19, militant factions in Gaza, notably the Islamic Jihad and Hamas, fired scores of rockets and mortar rounds at Israel.
Israeli media reported Monday, quoting Palestinian sources, that an Israeli soldier held captive in Gaza by Hamas for more than two years, Gilad Shalit, was also injured in one of the attacks.
“Gilad Shalit is an asset for Hamas and the organisation will do everything to keep him alive,” said an Israeli security official who spoke on condition of anonymity.
“Israel holds Hamas responsible for his well-being,” he said.
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israel jets bomb 40 targets, including Hamas leader's office (Lead) - Dec 29, 2008
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel readying for ground operation as Gaza toll reaches 345 (Second lead) - Dec 30, 2008
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israel rejects calls for truce, Gaza toll nears 370 (Roundup) - Dec 31, 2008
- Israeli planes strike in Gaza, three wounded - Nov 24, 2009
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Israel bombs three Gaza tunnels - Sep 30, 2009
- Gaza will not surrender to Israeli ground troops: Haniya - Jan 07, 2009
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011