Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start TuesdayOctober 15th, 2011 - 7:17 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, Oc 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A deal between Israel and Hamas on the exchange of over 1,000 jailed Palestinians for Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit will begin Tuesday.
This was announced by a spokesman for the militant group Committees of People’s Resistance that was involved in Shalit’s seizure along with Hamas said.
The spokesman said that within the swap deal, Israel would hand Palestinian prisoners over to Egypt, who would later be transferred to the Gaza Strip.
“When we receive the signal that all 450 people [the first group of prisoners] are released, Shalit will be sent to Egypt,” the spokesman said without elaborating on the details of the release operation.
Shalit, a soldier in the Israel Defence Forces, was captured in June 2006 by Palestinian militants in a raid near the Gaza Strip.
Earlier this week Tel Aviv agreed to release 1,027 Palestinians sitting in Israeli prisons in exchange for Shalit. The first group of 450 prisoners will be released Tuesday, the remaining will be freed in two months.
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
- Israel likely to exchange 980 Palestinian prisoners for Shalit - Nov 30, 2009
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Netanyahu to hold talks with Mubarak in Egypt Tuesday - Dec 27, 2009
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israeli prime minister sacks Gaza talks special envoy - Feb 24, 2009
- Four doctors visited Israeli soldier held in Gaza Strip: report - Dec 06, 2009
- Hamas threatens to kidnap more Israeli soldiers - Mar 29, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,