Israeli pageant crowns Miss Holocaust SurvivorJune 29th, 2012 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 29 (IANS) An Israeli beauty pageant, participated in by grandmothers, has crowned the first “Miss Holocaust Survivor”, The Sun reported Friday.
Fourteen women, aged 74 to 97, took to the red carpet for the glitzy bash in northern city of Haifa. The contestants described the horrors they suffered at the hands of the Nazis in World War II.
Hava Hershkovitz, 79, who fled her native Romania during the war, was crowned “Miss Holocaust Survivor”. She was awarded the prize by a four-judge panel including three former beauty queens and a psychiatrist, a specialist in helping Holocaust survivors.
“It’s not easy at this age to be in a beauty contest, but we’re all doing it to show that we’re still alive,” said Hershkovitz.
Almost 300 women had registered for the competition but Hershkovitz fended off competition from 14 finalists at the event.
The controversial pageant, however, has been slammed by some critics who branded it “macabre”.
Collete Avital, chairwoman of Israel’s Holocaust survivors’ group, said: “I am in favour of enriching lives, but a one-time pageant masquerading survivors with beautiful clothes is not what is going to make their lives more meaningful.”
Organiser Shimon Sabag, of the Helping Hand organisation, rejected the criticism, saying winners were chosen based on their stories of survival and contribution to the community.
The holocaust was the genocide of approximately six million European Jews during World War II. It was a programme of systematic state-sponsored murder by Nazi Germany, led by Adolf Hitler, throughout Nazi-occupied territory.
Nearly 200,000 Holocaust survivors live in Israel today.
- Holocaust memories still haunt survivors - Sep 21, 2010
- Fire At A Former Death Camp Of The Nazis In Poland Destroys The Shoes Of The Holocaust Victims - Aug 11, 2010
- Share your beauty tips, Vanya urges women (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Portuguese film 'The Consul of Bordeaux' to open IFFI 2012 - Nov 12, 2011
- Auschwitz Victims Honored On Holocaust Remembrance Day - Jan 27, 2010
- Germany to pay over 50 million pounds to preserve World War II death camp - Dec 18, 2010
- Iran launches website to undermine Holocaust - Aug 05, 2010
- Israel asks Germany to act against fugitive Nazi criminal - Aug 26, 2010
- Angola's Leila Lopes is Miss Universe 2011 (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Holocaust-Era Mass Grave Found In Romania - Nov 07, 2010
- World's most wanted Nazi held at 97 - Jul 19, 2012
- Can Manasvi Mamgai Win The Miss World 2010 Crown? - Oct 29, 2010
- Pope recalls cruelty in Auschwitz Nazi camp - Jan 27, 2010
- March of Living honours Holocaust victims - Apr 21, 2009
- Hoirose Silthou crowned as 'Orange Queen-2010' in Manipur's beauty contest - Dec 15, 2010