Israeli embassy car bombing has foreign links: PoliceJuly 19th, 2012 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) The conspiracy behind the Feb 13 Israeli embassy car bombing here has an international link, Delhi Police told a city court Thursday while seeking additional time for the probe.
The links of “the conspiracy were not confined to Indian territory but these were found spreading abroad”, the police told Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav.
According to sources, police told the court that they were collecting information about Iranian suspect Houshang Afshar Irani.
Police claimed Irani was in contact with apprehended journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi and had links to a similar blast in an official Israeli vehicle in Tbilisi in Georgia that also took place Feb 13, sources said.
The sources said that investigators claimed that Irani was in contact with Kazmi and the Georgia bombers.
Police claimed that information regarding call details related to suspects, including Irani, were required to be obtained from Georgia, Thailand, Malaysia and Iran, they said.
The probe in the case revealed that some suspects arrested from Malaysia had been in touch with alleged terrorist Irani, the sources said.
Irani had visited India twice. In his last visit, from Jan 29 to Feb 13, Irani stayed in a hotel at Karol Bagh in central Delhi, the police are believed to have told the court.
Police claimed they recovered an explosive device from the ceiling of Irani’s room in the hotel. The device was similar to the bomb used in the Feb 13 Israeli embassy car bombing, the sources said.
Kazmi was arrested March 6 for his alleged involvement in the bombing.
Four people were injured when an Israeli embassy car was struck by a bomb. Tal Yehoshua Koren, 42, wife of Israeli defence attache Colonel Yossi Refaelov, suffered multiple injuries when a motorcycle rider attached a magnetic explosive device to her car and sped away.
- Police get more time to probe Israeli embassy car blast - Jul 20, 2012
- Kazmi, Iranians named suspects in Israeli embassy car blast - Jul 31, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Kazmi's plea to come up Oct 12 - Jul 30, 2012
- Court takes note of charges against Kazmi - Aug 09, 2012
- Red corner notice to be issued for Iranians in Israeli car blast: Police - Mar 16, 2012
- Israeli car blast: Delhi Police team to quiz Bangkok blast suspect - Mar 21, 2012
- Israeli embassy car attack: Court issues notice to police - Jul 25, 2012
- Israeli car blast: Delhi Police seeks MEA help for Iranians' extradition - Mar 15, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Delhi Police team to go to Iran - Jul 31, 2012
- Israeli car blast: Red Corner notice issued against four - Mar 23, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kazmi's plea (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Israeli embassy car bombing: Kazmi opposes court order - Jun 06, 2012
- Kazmi urges resumption of hearing in sessions court - Jul 11, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Magistrate's decision set aside (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Israeli embassy car bombing: Kazmi moves bail plea - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: bombers, car bombing, central delhi, colonel, defence attache, delhi police, explosive device, indian territory, israeli embassy, israeli vehicle, jan 29, karol bagh, kazmi, magistrate, mohammad, motorcycle rider, place feb, tbilisi, vinod, yossi