Israeli drone sensor pinpoint terror sitesJune 18th, 2012 - 5:44 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, June 18 (IANS) The Israel Air Force is testing a sensor designed to enable its drones to spot militant hideouts and weapons, a media report said Sunday.
Israeli drones carry out surveillance missions over Lebanon and Gaza Strip, where tunnels are used for smuggling weapons and shielding militants from airstrikes.
The sensor is developed by Elbit Systems Ltd., Israel’s largest defence electronics company, Xinhua quoted The Jerusalem Post as saying.
The sensor uses imaging technology that shows wavelengths of materials, enabling drone operators to identify the unique spectral signature of targets, according to the report.
“It means that if a bush doesn’t match the natural vegetation in an area, we will be able to detect it,” an IAF officer told the Post.
Elbit said it has designed the sensor for installation on its Hermes 900, a medium-sized drone which entered service with the IAF two years ago, and on the older Hermes 450.
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel to deploy anti-missile system - Feb 20, 2012
- Israel seeks advanced missiles for new gunboats - Jul 09, 2012
- Brazil's Embraer to begin building drones - Sep 09, 2011
- Israeli jets strike Gaza smuggling tunnels - Feb 03, 2010
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli aircraft carry out airstrikes in Gaza - Jan 08, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel bombs weapons factory, two tunnels in Gaza - Nov 19, 2009
- Ten wounded in Israeli strikes on Gaza - Nov 22, 2009
- Israel's arms manufacturer sues Georgia for $100mn debt - Apr 11, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel bombs tunnel in Gaza Strip - Aug 10, 2009
Tags: bush doesn t, defence electronics company, elbit systems ltd, gaza strip, hermes, hideouts, imaging technology, israel air force, israeli drone, israeli drones, jerusalem post, lebanon, militants, natural vegetation, spectral signature, surveillance missions, tunnels, wavelengths, weapons, xinhua