Israeli army to acquire rocketsMarch 15th, 2012 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, March 15 (IANS) The Israeli military will acquire rockets with ranges of 40 and 150 km, a media report said.
Brig-Gen. David Suissa, the commander of the army’s Artillery Corps, is promoting the procurement of precision-strike rockets, reported the Yediot Aharonot daily Wednesday.
While the Artillery Corps has been operating the American-made M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) since the 1990s, long-range rockets have largely been absent in the army’s arsenal.
Israel’s defense ministry has not yet invited bids but the leading contender is Israel Military Industries which already produces long-range, GPS-guided projectiles, mainly for markets abroad.
Other defense firms, including Israel Aerospace Industries and RAFAEL Advanced Systems Ltd., are also expected to submit bids, said Xinhua citing the media report.
The Artillery Corps would receive the 40 km-range rockets within months after an order is placed, while the 150 km-range projectiles would only be supplied in 2014-2015, the report added.
- Israeli army to acquire long-range rockets - Mar 15, 2012
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Israel seeks advanced missiles for new gunboats - Jul 09, 2012
- South Korea puts new cruise missile into service - Apr 19, 2012
- Israel's Mossad agent killed - Jul 18, 2012
- Israel's Mossad agent dies in accident (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Israel to build shelters against bio-chemical bombs - Aug 19, 2010
- Caffeinated gum keeps Israeli pilots, commandos alert - May 18, 2012
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- China conducts two military drills to test long-range striking ability - Jul 29, 2010
- US to give $680 mn for Israel's anti-missile system - May 14, 2012
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- India, Russia to make multiple rocket systems - Sep 06, 2012
- Now, a calmed Israel expresses admiration, sympathy for Egyptians - Feb 14, 2011
- Israel to test next-generation missile defense system - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: 1990s, aerospace industries, artillery, brig, contender, defense ministry, israel military industries, israeli army, israeli military, launch, mlrs, multiple launch rocket system, precision strike, procurement, projectiles, rockets, systems ltd, tel aviv, xinhua, yediot aharonot