Israel ‘will eat’ Iran? French minister’s English ouchesOctober 5th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Oct 5 (DPA) The difficulties the French have in pronouncing the letter “h” landed the country’s foreign minister, Bernard Kouchner, in hot water.Israeli media quoted the minister as saying Israel “will eat” Iran if the Islamic Republic gained possession of nuclear weapons, prompting Kouchner’s office to issue a statement of clarification Sunday.
Kouchner wanted to say in an interview given in English that Israel would “hit” Iran if it developed nuclear weapons. But journalists apparently mistook his pronunciation of “hit” for “eat,” the statement said.
Kouchner, who is currently visiting the Middle East, profoundly regretted the misunderstanding, the foreign ministry said.
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- No military component in Iran's nuclear programme: Russia - Dec 10, 2011
- Obama, Netanyahu discuss Mideast situation - Jan 13, 2012
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Sarkozy warns Iran of isolation over nuclear programme - Jun 04, 2009
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Medvedev urges calm over Iran, warns of 'catastrophe' - Nov 09, 2011
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Iran still undecided on nuclear bomb: US intelligence chief - Feb 01, 2012