Israel welcomes UN resolution against IranMarch 4th, 2008 - 5:33 pm ICT by admin
Jerusalem, March 4 (Xinhua) Israel welcomed the resolution against Iran’s nuclear programme adopted Monday by the UN Security Council, an official statement said Tuesday. “This important resolution is an unequivocal message that the international community cannot countenance Iran’s nuclear programme, ” according to the statement.
The 15-nation council voted Monday 14-0, with Indonesia abstaining, to expand the ban on travel by individuals “engaged in, associated with providing support for Iran’s proliferation of sensitive nuclear activities or for the development of nuclear weapon delivery systems”.
Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said the third Security Council resolution is a step that expresses the understanding that the international community must neither give up nor stand aside in the face of Iran’s attempts to attain nuclear capability.
“Any additional decision by any state, company or group adds further weight to the body of sanctions necessary to stop Iran,” she added.
The Security Council approved the new sanctions Monday, which Israel says sent a strong signal to Teheran that its refusal to suspend uranium enrichment is unacceptable and becoming increasingly costly.
The vote on the new sanction was 14-0 with one abstention from Indonesia.
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Ahmadinejad says UN lost credibility after Iran resolution - Jun 14, 2010
- UN Security Council orders new sanctions against Iran (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- US expects South Africa to make Iran shun n-programme - Aug 09, 2012
- IAEA to refer Syrian nuclear issue to UNSC - Jun 10, 2011
- Israel reiterates call for sanctions on Iran - Nov 25, 2011
- France calls for unprecedented sanctions against Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Germany, a pillar to curb Iranian nuke programme: Israel - Sep 10, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran has right to develop n-energy, says India - Jan 10, 2012
- US hegemony should end: Iran official - Sep 20, 2011
- Israel asks world to deny N-right to Iran - Nov 20, 2009
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- China opposes unilateral sanctions against Iran - Jul 01, 2012