Israel urges tougher sanctions against IranSeptember 26th, 2008 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Vienna, Sep 25 (Xinhua) Iran has become a threat not only to Israel’s safety but also to the whole world, Israeli Ambassador to Austria Dan Ashbel said here Thursday, calling on the international community to take a tough stand against the Islamic country.”Iran has posed a threat to wipe off Israel from the world map. It would be strictly prohibited that one member of UN puts existential threats to another member,” Ashbel told a press meet organised by the Austrian Press Club.
Though Iran has made threats mainly against Israel, its actions supporting terrorism and secretly developing nuclear weapons have become a theat to “all his neighbouring countries and the whole western world”, the diplomat said, underlining that modern terrorism has no boundaries.
Describing Iran as the root of danger, Ashbel called on the UN and the European Union to put more stringent sanctions on Tehran. “Iran must be under more pressure so as to be more effectively restricted not to endanger the whole world.”
“Israel seeks peaceful relationship with its neighbours from the day the country was founded 60 years ago, which was clearly written in our Declaration of Independence,” he said.
Ashbel also noted that on the issue about Palestine, Israel “hopes to avoid any conflict or war”, and it is a feasible solution that the two countries acknowledge each other.
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Palestine's Unesco membership may cause financial implications: UN chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Iran says that it has placed 150,000 missiles towards Israel - Nov 28, 2011
- UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine - Oct 31, 2011
- Previously unknown Mozart piece performed in Austria - Mar 24, 2012
- Shia clerics demand closure of US, Israel embassies in India - May 07, 2012
- N-weapons proliferation a big problem: Hillary - May 07, 2012
- Austria needs immigration to fill job gaps: Minister - Jul 11, 2012
- Pressure builds on Iran, Israel N-programmes - Jun 07, 2010
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Former Nazi dies in Austria - Jun 21, 2011
- Iran has 'technical ability' to make HEU needed for nuke bomb development: Wikileaks - Jan 21, 2011
- Central bank warns stagnation of Austrian economy - Dec 10, 2011
- Canada cuts ties with Iran - Sep 08, 2012
- Austrian economy slows down - Aug 15, 2012