Israel to renew limited fuel supplies to Gaza StripApril 15th, 2008 - 5:40 am ICT by admin
Tel Aviv, April 15 (DPA) Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has ordered the renewal of fuel deliveries to the Gaza Strip, almost one week after they were cut off following a Palestinian-militant shooting attack on a border fuel terminal which killed two Israelis. Israel Radio reported that diesel fuel for the Gaza power station, and cooking gas are included in the minister’s decision, but petrol for motor vehicles will not be delivered.
Israel in recent months has cut back on the fuel it delivers to the strip, to protest continued Palestinian rocket attacks on southern Israel.
The fuel supply was suspended last week, after militant groups attacked the Nahal Oz terminal - the main entry point for fuel into the salient - last Wednesday and killed two Israeli civilians.
The head of the Palestinian Petrol Corporation in Gaza, Mujahid Salama, warned Monday that Gaza’s main power plant would be closed by Tuesday due to the shortage of fuel.
“The remaining amounts of industrial fuel to keep the power plant operating will be only sufficient until Tuesday,” he said in a statement, adding that “if more fuel is not allowed, Gaza Strip will be sinking in full blackout”.
The Gaza power station supplies about 30 percent of the enclave’s electricity. Sixty percent comes via lines from the Israeli power plant in Ashkelon, about 15 km north of the salient, and 10 percent is supplied by Egypt.
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Israel resumes fuel supplies to Gaza (Lead) - Nov 11, 2008
- Israel retaliates for rocket attack with air strikes on Gaza strip - Jul 31, 2010
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- Israeli jets strike Gaza smuggling tunnels - Feb 03, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- More Israelis, Palestinians willing to compromise: Poll - Dec 29, 2011