Israel to keep on building in East Jerusalem: OlmertJune 16th, 2008 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, June 16 (DPA) Israel will continue building new homes in occupied East Jerusalem, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told visiting US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, rebuffing her criticism of plans for settlement construction in the occupied Palestinian areas. Israeli media reported Monday that Olmert told Rice that while Israel would not confiscate more Palestinian land, it would build in Jewish neighbourhoods of Jerusalem it expected to keep as part of any final settlement with the Palestinians.
Olmert and Rice met Sunday night, after the secretary of state had earlier held talks with Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
At both meetings Rice slammed Israeli settlement plans, saying they had the potential to “harm” the ongoing peace talks with the Palestinians.
Israel insists on building to accommodate “natural growth” in West Bank settlement blocks it hopes to keep as part of any final agreement. This includes in East Jerusalem, which Israel captured in the 1967 war and annexed shortly afterwards, but which Palestinians want as the capital for their future state.
Rice is slated Monday to meet Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak and Abbas.
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Palestinian President Abbas UN, EU to draft new peace plan - Jan 01, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Obama 'backed out of land promise to Palestinians' - Jan 25, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- India to host Palestinian leader next week - Sep 07, 2012
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010