Israel premier questioned for sixth time in corruption probeAugust 22nd, 2008 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Aug 22 (DPA) Israeli police were questioning Prime Minister Ehud Olmert for a sixth time Friday on his alleged involvement in corruption affairs currently under investigation.It was unclear which of the affairs would form the focus of the latest round of questioning, but Israeli media said the investigators would quiz the premier on suspicions he double - and even triple - billed sponsors for overseas visits, and used the extra money to pay for trips for his family.
Olmert would also be questioned on allegations that in the years before he became prime minister he received hundreds of thousands of dollars, most of it via envelopes full of cash, from US-Jewish fundraiser Morris Talansky.
And it was possible that Friday’s questioning would also deal with allegations that while trade and industry minister Olmert helped to push for favours to be given to a concern owned by his former law partner.
Olmert has denied all the accusations against him, and although he admitted receiving funds via Talansky in what has become known as “the money envelopes” affair, denies the sums mentioned, and insists it was legitimate reimbursements for food and accommodation.
- Former Israel PM convicted but escapes fraud charge - Jul 10, 2012
- Israeli police recommend indictment of Ehud Olmert - Aug 23, 2010
- Ehud Olmert becomes first Israeli PM to face trial - Aug 31, 2009
- Police recommend charging Israeli PM - Sep 08, 2008
- Confident Olmert hopes to come out clean following "inhuman witch hunt" - Sep 25, 2009
- Police quiz Israeli premier for second time on money scandal - May 23, 2008
- Olmert asked for donation in cash: Witness - May 27, 2008
- Outgoing Israeli PM Olmert likely to face corruption charges - Mar 02, 2009
- Key witness in Olmert money scandal testifies to court - May 27, 2008
- Olmert vows not to resign despite bribery investigation - May 29, 2008
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Israel to hand over historical building to Russia - Jun 26, 2012
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Al-Jazeera exposed 'Palestine Papers' has made Israel-Palestine peace pact harder: US - Jan 25, 2011
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010