Israel, Palestine to start peace talks next weekFebruary 25th, 2008 - 1:06 am ICT by admin
Jerusalem, Feb 24 (Xinhua) Israel and the Palestinian National Authority Sunday set up teams of government experts to jumpstart US-backed peace talks, local daily Ha’aretz reported. “The teams will focus on a range of specific issues, from security to trade and water use, that would form part of any agreement on a Palestinian state,” Israeli foreign ministry spokesman Arye Mekel was quoted as saying.
Israel’s chief negotiator, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, and her Palestinian counterpart, former prime minister Ahmed Quriea, will continue to deal with the core issues of borders and the future of Jerusalem and Palestinian refugees.
Mekel further said the experts, numbering approximately 10 from each side and drawn from various government ministries, would meet separately from Livni and Qureia.
Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat declined to comment specifically on the teams except saying “we bring whatever experts are needed”.
The negotiations, which US President George W. Bush hopes will yield an agreement on Palestinian statehood before he leaves office next January, have been stalled by a series of disputes, including Jewish settlement activities near Jerusalem.
- Clinton's remarks on Israeli democracy spark lawmakers' ire - Dec 05, 2011
- Israel warns Palestinians against 'unilateral steps' - Nov 16, 2009
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Olmert, Abbas meet in Jerusalem - Nov 17, 2008
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- Israel's foreign minister asks to reconsider Gaza ceasefire - Dec 08, 2008
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Palestinians call off peace talks with Israel - Mar 02, 2008
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Palestinian negotiators had secretly agreed partial Israel annexation - Jan 24, 2011
- Israel trying to thwart UN fact-finding mission on settlements - Mar 19, 2012